Sunday, April 26, 2009

The other night I went to a wine tasting. This wasn't a tasting a casual tasting at a store where you try a couple of wines that they're featuring. This was a 3 hour, multi table event held in the ballroom of a local hotel. Though I've been feeling a bit run down and exhausted, it's been awhile since I've done a tasting like this and it was being hosted by The Wine Library, so I just had to go. All in all, it was a great evening and the wines that stood out:

Cataldo Nero D'Avolo - As mentioned before, I am not a big fan of Italian wines. I tend to find them dusty and a little too earthy. This Nero, however; was light with just the right balance of fruit of restraint.

Tamayo Carmenere - Carmenere is one of my favorite wines right now. Carmenere is consideredd one of the original six grapes of the Bordeaux region (Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Malbec, Petit Verdot round out the list). Though its origins are French, most Carmenere is now made in Chile. Carmenere was originally used as a blending wine (particularly with Cabernet Sauvignon), but on its own it's really lovely - fruity, but dry, with a lot of nice pepper and smoke. This particular one had notes of white pepper, which really added a nice kick.

Jules Rose - Rose is the perfect wine for spring and summer - light, crisp and dry, and pairs easily with light picnic foods and many cheeses. This rose is a quintessential Provencal rose - as light as a souffle, but hearty enough to hold up a pasta salad, with notes of strawberry and currant.

At another time I'll give you the "dos and don'ts" of a wine tasting (e.g. Do Not Drink the Spit Bucket a la "Sideways"). Until then, have a great weekend and keep sippin'.

Cheers,
Alli

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you ever heard of an Italian blend called The Three Graces? We've been having it at our club and really like it.

Unknown said...

Oops! I miis-spoke. The Three Graces was a vineyard in Oregon. The wine I like is Menage a Trois -- a French name, but an Italian wine -- a blend of three grapes.

Alli M. said...

Actually, it's Four Graces, and they do make lovely stuff
I've had the Menage A Trois meritage (merlot/cab/ cab franc) and it was pretty good
It's not too pricey either
I think Total Wine may carry it

Unknown said...

I knew you'd know it, Alli. You're such a wine whiz!

Unknown said...

This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it.

Website
Information

Ariana Richardo said...

This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it.

Website
Information
Click Here

CarterRuiz said...

After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

Ceti.edu.gt
Information

Gina Rice said...

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

Click Here
Visit Web

Lillian Cruz said...

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

Uberant.com
Information
Click Here

AugustCollects said...

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Stylowi.pl
Information
Click Here
Visit Web