Friday, July 17, 2009

Bin (14) There, Loved That

As mentioned in my previous posting, earlier tonight some friends and I went to Bin 14 in Hoboken. Bin14 is a well regarded wine bar and tapas style restaurant.

Shortly after bing seated, my friends passed the wine list over to me as their "personal sommelier." I love when my friends trust me with their wine choice, but I always get a little nervous that I'm going to pick something that some, or all, of them hate. Luckily, as one would hope with a place that calls itself a wine bar, the wine list was quite extensive and offered many choices at different price points. They had many, many good choices and knowing this crowd and guessing we'd go through more than one bottle, I wanted to stay on the budget side. I went with a tried and true, Stickleback Shiraz/Cabernet.

Stickleback is an Australian producer and I've had their Shiraz/Cabernet on many occasions (http://www.heartlandwines.com.au/news/stickleback.asp). It's a lovely medium bodied wine with a bit of spice and some nice, tight tannins. Moreover, it tends to be pretty smooth given its age (mostly you'll find 2006 and 2007 right now). In short, it goes down easy and pairs with a bunch of different things. This is key when you have 5 different women ordering various small plates.

All in all it was a lovely evening. the wine was great and the dinner was fabulous from the food to the company.

I'd go into some of our more entertaining conversations like how Mousume almost ended up in traffic court or why we refer to Joanna's grandmother, Mary Ellen, as Gladys or how we were "coaching" Rachel on approaching her PATH crush, but my mother reads the blog. We were lucky we weren't kicked out for noise pollution (as well as our neighboring table's noise pollution). Oh, and Aimee I'd call you out for something but I'd rather you not kick my butt should we find ourselves traveling together.....

Cheers and happy weekend,

Alli

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What? No complaints about being shushed by the establishment?

Alli M. said...

Good point....though I don't need friends of mine to have any more excuses to try to stop me from talking!

elliej said...

Stickleback sound delicious, but oi, what a name!! It sounds like something with prickles in it...

Harga Ford Makassar said...

I think more updates and will be returning. I have filtered for qualified edifying substance of this calibre all through the past various hours.

Indi Host said...

You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

Website
Information

Chand Mason said...

I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

Mojomarketplace.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web