Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A good old standby with a good longstanding friend

I hope everyone (all 7 of you) had a relaxing and/or fun-filled and/or crazy Labor Day weekend. Mine was quite relaxing so it was good for my soul but not so much for my blog. However, I had one nice memorable wine moment to share.

Friday night I had dinner with my long, lost friend, Catherine, whom I had not seen since the birth of her son, Gabriel. The best thing about recently pregnant friends is that they're usually craving sushi as much as I am so off we went for our raw fish fix. Despite the upcoming long weekend, it had been a very busy week for me so I was really looking forward to enjoying a glass of wine with dinner. As soon as I saw the Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc on the menu, I was sold.

Cakebread used to be one of my favorite labels. I loved their Cabernet Sauvignon and though I'm not the biggest Chardonnay fan, I always found theirs to be nice, juicy and more restrained than most of the overoaked, buttery stuff coming out of Napa. However, in the past several years I think they've grown too big too fast. I now find their Chardonnay to be typically overoaked and overpriced and their Cabernet, while still good, is also a bit overpriced.

On the other hand, Cakebread's Sauvignon Blanc remains consistently good and a great value for the price (I've seen it in my local Costco for right around $20). Their Sauvignon Blanc is classic - a little citrus and grass on the nose and some grapefruit and melon on the palette. It's a lovely, light white wine with a little acidity and some nice fruit. It goes really well with fish - raw or otherwise.

Hmmmm...is it too soon to eat sushi again? I wonder if we can convince some winemakers to find a grape or create a wine that reverses the effects of mercury....Just an idea!

Until the next glass, Cheers!

-Alli M.

2 comments:

elliej said...

Cakebread sounds like a baked dessert, not a wine label. Glad you had a relaxing weekend -- You deserve it.

Ariana Richardo said...

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.


Click Here
Imdb.com