Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What pairs best with "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?"

Earlier tonight at my book club we conducted a blind wine tasting. Everyone brought a bottle of wine in a brown paper bag and we numbered each bag. We had 8 wines in all - 2 whites and 6 reds. In between discussing "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" we tasted and took notes.

Unfortunately I didn't take notes after the wines were revealed so I can't recall everything we tried, but here's the rundown:

Whites:
Bogle Chardonnay - Wendy N. - our fearless hostess (and maker of yummy tortellini)
Argentinian Torrontes (don't know the producer) - Laurie D. - the great trickster

Reds:
Firesteed Pinot Noir - Rachel K. - those of us who know RK are sooo not surprised
Italian Montepulciano (with some Sangiovese blended in) - Kathy
Glass Mountain Syrah - Alli M. - this was my "joke" of the evening - I think this wine is crap
Ravenswood Red Zinfandel - Joanna R. - sorry I confused this with my crap Syrah but at least it paired well with the cake
Niepoort Twisted Douro - Alli M. - I had to bring something halfway decent, though this was not a big hit
and a Cabernet Sauvignon that I can't remember - Genna W. - Sorry I didn't love it

I successfully identified three of the wines. Apparently I have a talent at picking out over oaked Chardonnay and over oaked Cabernet Sauvignon. Good thing I'm taking classes! Then again I did nail the America pinot noir.

It seemed like the favorites were the Torrontes and the Pinot Noir (and when the flourless chocolate cake came out, the Red Zinfandel - which usually goes well with rich chocolate). For those who've never had Torrontes, it's a lovely white wine that has a nose like a riesling but with a drier, more structured palette. Plus, you can find a good bottle for $15 or less so I highly recommend giving it a shot.

As for the book, that was received a little less favorably. Most felt that "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" was too similar to the original and that the zombies added nothng to the plot. Since I've never read the original, I can't really comment. I enjoyed the book, but the best part of book club isn't the reading. Reading the book is just a good excuse to get together for some good conversation, great food and the occasional blind wine tasting.

Until tomorrow night's class,

Cheers,

Alli M.

3 comments:

elliej said...

Gee, our book club is just cake, fruit and decaf coffee -- plus discussion, of course. We really should add wine.

Anonymous said...

The wine tasting was a lot of fun, I highly recommend. I think we should do it regularly also!!!

FYI -- The Torrontes is Finca el Origen.

Laurie D.

Alli M. said...

Thanks for the info., Laurie.
I'm already thinking about what bottle to bring when you host!

Ellie - You need to have a serious discussion with your book club - wine totally makes a get together.