Thursday, January 7, 2010

Good wine can come from a strip mall winery. Seriously.

Several years ago, I made my first trek out to the North Fork of Long Island. While on that trip I stumbled into the tasting room of Waters Crest which was located in a small strip mall off the main road. I was not only surprised at the quality of the wine, but I was also surprised, and delighted, by the 12 year old working the tasting room with her mother. This turned out to be the winemaker's daughter and I was envious that she knew so much about wine at her age (and quietly angry at my parents for never trying to start their own winery).

Four years later, I finally made my way back to the North Fork of Long Island and I stopped by Waters Crest again. Their whites and roses were as good as I remember, but they also had a red that I really liked. They called it Campania Rosso and it was a Bordeaux style blend (primarily Merlot with Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and a bit of Petite Verdot). This was the first time I liked a red from the U.S. that was not made in California, Oregon or Washington. I was so excited so I picked up a bottle for later.

A few nights ago I opened the bottle and it was the nice, dry, yet juicy red I remembered. It went down very smoothly with the Italian food I was having.

If you can find Waters Crest Campania Rosso in your neck of the woods, check it out. I think you'll be pleased. Plus, I'm all for anything that can encourage North Fork producers to strive to make good red wines.

Until the next sniff, sip or quaff,

Cheers,

Alli M.

4 comments:

elliej said...

Mea culpa! You can start a winery for your own kids.

Alli M. said...

Right back at ya, Annemarie.

Sbobet Online said...

This is a fantastic website and I can not recommend you guys enough. Full of useful resource and great layout very easy on the eyes. Taruhan Bola

Robert Howard said...

This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

Website
Information
Click Here