Sunday, March 28, 2010

This past Saturday I went to a fundraiser for someone in the wine industry I recently met who will be running the Paris marathon in few weeks. Suffice it to say, we drank French wines. Since it was held at the shop I regularly visit, Amanti Vino, I was familiar with two of the wines but was introduced to two new loves.

Wine #1: Duc de Romet Brut Prestige Champagne NV: This is a Grower's champagne meaning that it was made by the person or group that grew the grapes (unlike most mass champagnes which buy their grapes). Grower champagnes tend to have a lot richer, more yeasty flavor with a little less sweetness. I've become an absolute fan of these champagnes because it's how champagne was meant to taste. Plus, it's often cheaper than the "major brands" who put more money into branding than wine making. And for $30, this is an excellent example of a good Grower champagne - tasy, yeasty with some citrus notes.

Wine #2: I forget the actual label. It was a Meursault which is a Chardonnay from the Burgundy region. I don't love really acidic white wines which is a defining characteristic of Burgundy Chardonnay. This was a clearly well made wine, but not something I love.

Wine #3: Domaine A et P de Villaine de Bourgogne Rouge 2008: Red wine from Burgundy means Pinot Noir and this is a classic young Burgundy Pinot Noir. It's medium bodied with notes of strawberry and cherry. It's was absolutely yummy and something I could drink with several different meals or on its own. If we weren't rushing off to dinner, I would have picked up a bottle or two.

Wine #4: Rene Rostaing Les Lezards Syrah 2006: I've raved about this wine before. It's a fantastic 100% Syrah grown just outside the Cote Rotie region. It's gamey earthiness gives way to blackberries and cassis. One of my absolute favorite wines. I usually have a bottle or two in my wine refrigerator at all times.

It was great to discover two more French wines I love (for my palette, not for my wallet). I can't wait to add a bottle or two of the Champagne and the Domaine A et P to my refrigerator.

Best of all, the price of the tasting went directly towards the Leukemia & Lymphoma society. Can you think of a better win/win - good wine for a good cause?

Until the next sniff, sip or quaff,

Cheers,

Alli M.

3 comments:

elliej said...

I'm at Aunt Ruthie's house for the seder. Manichewitz only. I envy you.

Indi Host said...

After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

Click Here
Muabs.com

Robert Howard said...

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article, thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

Website
Information
Click Here