Thursday, March 25, 2010

WSET Advanced Class 2

I could give you the highlights of the class, but the content was so dry (all about the planting and winemaking process) that even bullet points might put you to sleep. So I'll just get to my favorite part - the tasting.

We started with 2 different representations of Chardonnay - a Chablis and a Meruseult. Both were of great quality, but I didn't enjoy them as much as I should because they were quite acidic and I've learned that I'm particularly sensitive to the acid in acidic whites. Unfortunately this is something I'll just have to work through to move forward in my wine education.

From there we tasted two different Oregon Pinot Noirs - one that was a younger, "value" wine and another that was also young, but a bit pricier and also a bit more complex. The second, more expensive wine was from Domaine Serene, but for $33 I consider their "Yamhill Cuvee" a good value. It has a lovely ruby appearance with a nose of raspberry, spice and oak. You get the same wonderful flavors on the palette.

After that we moved on to Syrahs. The first was a funky, gamey, peppery wine called "Ro Ree" by Domaine Cheze in the Rhone. Rhone reds are another of my favorite varietals and the ones with the gamey funkiness rank the highest with me. And for the sake of transparency, I'd also had and enjoyed this wine before! Our last wine of the evening was the Jaffurs Wine Cellars "Upslope" Syrah out of Santa Barbara, CA. I've enjoyed a lot of Syrahs from this region before (Bridlewood Reserve Syrah is one of my favorite under $30 bottles), but I did not love this wine. I liked it a lot, but for $75, I don't think it's worth it. then again, if I bought a bottle I'd probably lay it down for a few years and who knows how great it could be after that.

I'm on a brief wine break until Saturday night when I'm going to a French wine tasting fundraiser. Charity rocks.

Unil the next sip, sniff or quaff,

Cheers,

Alli M.

8 comments:

elliej said...

Glad you're able to enjoy a favorite activity and raise money for charity as well -- Happy Quaffing!!

Agen Bola said...

I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation t hat's at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best posting.

Berita Bola said...

Great blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the information are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which really should do the trick! Have a nice day!

Travel Holiday said...

I think additional updates and can be returning. I actually have filtered for qualified enlightening substance of this calibre at some point of the past varied hours.
Traveling Blog
Travel Place

Unknown said...

You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!
Stapleritalia.it
Twittbot.net
Syntigris.com.cn

Indi Host said...

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…

Website
Information

Robert Howard said...

You have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

Twittbot.net
Website
Information

Jackie Austin said...

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…

Hoconrua.net
Information
Click Here
Visit Web