Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Snob No More (I'm Trying)

Though I often call myself a wine snob, I've never actually considered myself a snob, but I was recently exposed. At a wine tasting a few weeks ago, I was picking on a popular brand of mass market wine (that may be named after a color and a part of an animal).

A few of my fellow tasters responded that I was looking at it all wrong. One explained that he used to feel the same way but that he now looks at mass market wines as "gateway wines." He believes that mass market wine drinkers will eventually start seeking out product with more complexity and refinement. While that remains to be seen, the other tasters were right to call me out.

This point was reinforced last night at Joanna's (of Joanna and Tim - the ultimate hosts). Our friend Rachel brought a red blend that she proudly described as a "fruit bomb." It was a little too much for me, especially after the dry, spicy Zinfandel I'd just had, BUT, it seemed to be a real crowd pleaser. Plus, it was a little better than most mass market blends I've had so maybe there is something to the "gateway wine" argument. Either way, it's a good reminder that when it comes to something as subjective as wine, "to each his own."
I'm hoping to introduce you to some new grapes and new wines, but when it comes to wine, there's only one rule - if it tastes good to you, drink it.

Until the next sniff, sip, quaff or discussion of my snobbiness,

Cheers,

Alli M.

1 comment:

elliej said...

I haven't had two-buck chuck in a long time. I've been following your recommendations. Am I turning into a wine snob, too? (I guess I inherited your genes.)