Monday, December 6, 2010

And on the 4th night of Hannukah, I enjoyed a split at a bar

This past Saturday I celebrated the 4th night of Hannukah at a good local bar, Egan & Sons which has good food, very good beer and a really good wine list for a pub. I hadn't been to Egan's in quite some time and I was excited to find that they'd added splits to their menu. A split is the fancy, wine snob way of saying half bottle.

Splits are great for many reasons:

-Splits are cheaper than buying by the glass. At a bar or restaurant, a split usually costs about 2x that of a glass of the same wine. You get about 2 1/2 glasses of wine in each split.

-Splits are fresher than ordering by the glass. When you order a split, a fresh new bottle is opened for you. This rarely happens when you're ordering by the glass.

-Splits allow for variety. If you can't decided between two wines or two varietals and the wine is offered in half bottles, order both and see which one you prfer.

-Splits save you from yourself. How many times have you been at restaurant and though you were full and finished drinking, you sucked down another 1/2 glass or glass of wine because you didn't want the rest of bottle to go to waste?

Of course some nights call for a full bottle (or three). Plus, some friends may look at you funny (as mine did this weekend) when you belly up to the bar with your own mini bottle and a fileld glass to boot. However, for all the reasons listed above, it's worth it to order a split now and again.

As for what split I ordered? King's Estate Pinot Noir. Medium bodied, fruite forward, easy drinking pinot noir. Always a good standby.

Until the next sniff, sip, quaff or split,

Cheers,

Alli M.

2 comments:

elliej said...

Another good tip from our master sommelier!

Akhadiwi Rajie said...

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.
Tanko119.jp
Gh-magokoro.jp
Cesi666.de