Monday, January 31, 2011

Wendy N. reports in from France

In my previous post, my friends and I were toasting my friend, Wendy N., who was on her way to a 6 month sabbatical in Europe. She recently sent some notes on her latest tastings, which is good because I seem to have forgotten how to write my own content.

Wendy and her husband, Gabe, are currently in the Aude/Languedoc-Roussillon region in France. The French have been making wine in this region for hundreds of years yet only recently has it emerged as a hot "new" wine region. But I think Wendy says it best:

"So we've been enjoying all the good, cheap wine in France. We're staying in Couiza in the Aude/Languedoc-Roussillon region. To the northeast of us a small region called Minervois, and they blend some good reds. We went to this fabulous one-star restaurant (1 Michelin star/20 Euro prix fixe) and they gave us a half bottle of a Minervois red (we didn't get the full winery name -- Jean something might be the guy who runs it) for all of 5 Euros ($7). So we bought the bottle in the pic at the local grocery store for under 3E, and it was pretty good table wine. It's a mix of grapes -- very mild. They have great descriptions on the back of bottles here (I'll take a pic next time)."

I looked up the wine on wine-searcher.com and unfortunately I could not find it anywhere in the U.S. based on the name I took off the label. In some ways, though, that's one of the beautiful things about enjoying wine in the country where it comes from. You're likely to come across something you can't get in your home country which makes the experience even more special.

Why didn't I try to pack myself in Wendy N.'s suitcase?!?

Before I sign off, please take a moment to vote for my blog at wine-searcher.com. I'd love to have it move up the list! And for my retired friends, you know you have the time to vote often - very often.

Until Wendy N.'s next sniff, sip or quaff (she's on sabbatical and I've been super busy at work so she'll definitely be sipping sooner than me!),

Cheers,

Alli M.

5 comments:

elliej said...

Reminds me of our sojourn in Provence, where you could bring large plastic jugs to fill up with delicious wine for the equivalent of $3 a jug at the local vineyards --

Unknown said...

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…
Stapleritalia.it
Twittbot.net
Syntigris.com.cn

Sproter Crati said...

Its like you learn my thoughts! You seem to understand so much about this, like you wrote the e-book in it or something. I think that you just could do with a few percent to drive the message house a little bit, however other than that, this is great blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.


Diskusi
Teknokrat

Lillian Cruz said...

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

Click Here
Visit Web

Kiro Wadazo said...

This really answered my problem, thank you!

Trailblazer.me
Information
Click Here
Visit Web