Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Who needs a world when you've got an ocracy?


For the second time this week, I took my mother's advice and I read Eric Asimov's wine column in today's New York Times.  Asimov wrote about a a recent wine event in which a renowned wine maker, Adam Lee (Siduri Vineyards), switched labels at a wine tasting to dupe the tasters and prove his point that high alcohol content does not necessarily lead to an unbalanced wine.  Asimov goes on to say that he did not feel that Lee's stunt proved much of anything.

To me, the most alarming part of the article is its beginning in which the switcheroo is described as having
"evoked both claims of vindication and cries of ourage throughout the wine-drinking world."  Apparently I'm not part of the wine world as I knew nothing about this event.  In fact, I didn't even known that a big wine pow-wow known as the "World of Pinot Noir" was going on in Pismo Beach.  And I love Pinot Noir.  The only thing I know about Pismo Beach is the reference Alicia Silverstone (though she will always be known to me as "Cher Horowitz") makes in the movie, "Clueless."  Well, I guess I have a new goal rather than expanding my readership - officially become part of the wine world.  Then again, I already have my own Wineocracy, so who needs a world?!?

If you'd like to read the article:  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/dining/23pour.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=pinot%20noir&st=cse

Until the next sniff, sip, quaff or piece of motherly advice,

Cheers,

Alli M.  

7 comments:

Pack said...

i found that article annoyed and not earth shattering.
if anything it got the dude in the times - nice PR for him. frankly it is a little snarky of him and yes, scoffs at their wine event which wasnt a very nice thing to do but guess he thought he could truly test the panel.

asmiov is an ego maniac who assumes that "the world" is his world.
i knew about it .... but then i read the dining in / dining out section on a weekly basis. so there you have it.

oh alli - we've gotta catch up!

Unknown said...

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.
Ikeda-naika.net
Takara-sagashi.com
Jackmcvicker.com

Information said...

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought youd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention. Information

Indi Host said...

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info

Click Here
Gravatar.com

Lillian Cruz said...

I was very pleased to find this web-site. I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

En.clubcooee.com
Information

Eileen Price said...

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

Seoinpractice.com
Information
Click Here

Danil Pamungkas said...

Would you be interested in exchanging links?

Ignitiondeck.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web