Sunday, April 17, 2011

Scallops and Truffle Oil and Chenin, Oh My

Mother Nature went back to her bi-polar ways this weekend - well, for those of us in the East.  Despite the chilly temperatures and seemingly spiteful wind, I headed to CulinAriane, one of my favorite local restaurants, on Friday night.  I already knew I was going to be getting the scallops with a fragrant, earthy, melt-in-your-mouth mushroom and truffle oil sauce. 

Though the wind was calling for a rich and hearty red, my palate was screaming out for a dry white with some good acid.  Time to break out the Chenin.  Or more like Le Chenin, which is the bottle Will at Amanti Vino convinced me to try.  Wine Advocate gives it a 90 and says something about musk, animal scents, white peach, chalkiness and lime.  As mentioned in previous posts, my palate may be on the "short bus" because I got both a nose and a mouth full of citrus (guess that would be the lime).  I did get the minerality and chalkiness, which I usually do not like, but in this Chenin it was smooth, not overly aggressive as I find in a lot of more minerally whites (many people love this quality - just a personal taste thing). 

If you've been reading me religiously, as you should, it may seem like I like every wine I drink.  The reason for this is that I eat out at a lot of BYOs which means the wine buying is at my discretion and I buy most of my wine from knowledgable people at very good stores.  You do not need to be any sort of wine expert to drink good wine, you just need to find people who know what they're doing and can be the experts for you.  So finda store nearby that can serve as your personal wine experts.  And if you can't, e-mail me and I'll try to help you.

Before I sign off, please vote for my blog - often!  http://www.localwineevents.com/resources/blogs/view/1328

Until the next sniff, sip or quaff,

Cheers,

Alli M.

5 comments:

elliej said...

I went to the site to vote, and there was no place to vote. It just indicated that you had 88 votes. Can we no longer vote? (Boo, hoo.)

Information said...

you have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog? Information Information

Ariana Richardo said...

You have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

Click Here
Devote.se

Dirga Aliya said...

I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Datafutures.org
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Danil Pamungkas said...

I was very pleased to find this web-site. I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

Hotify.net
Information
Click Here
Visit Web