Friday, June 24, 2011

6 Vineyards and a Bunch of Freaky Mannequins

It's been a long day and since my mom is the only person who actually reads my blog, I'm going to keep it brief. 
Domaine de la Poultiere (Vernou-Sur-Loire):  I can't believe I'm wine tasting at 8:45am.  Greeted by a sweet dog.  Nice wines.  Bought a lovely white for dinner.

Then I picked up my friends after having to do an entire lap around the town in a large rental station wagon (it was between that and a Smart Car and there are 3 of us).

Domaine des Geleries (Bourgueil):  Remembered enough of my French 101 fruit vocabulary to discuss the wine with the winemaker.  He was impressed enough to give us a barrel tasting.  Success!  Nice reds - preferred Bourgueil Cabernet Franc to Chinon Cabernet Franc.  Mellower and richer.

Don't remember 3rd winery (Bourgueil):  Was not great. 

Domaine Du Cedre (Bourgueil):  Yummy pink sparkler.  No room in suitcase.  Bummer.

Couly-Dutheil (Chinon):  Typically over commercialized winery though the people there were really nice.

We then visited the Chateau in Usse which inspired the writer of "Sleeping Beauty."  It is gorgeous from the outside, but it is decorated with a plethora of mannequins and wax figures illustrating French life as well as the story of Sleeping Beauty.  AND, the mannequins are dressed in costumes reflective of the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th centuries with a little 1970s thrown in for good measure. Super freaky and totally confusing.  The above picture is from the "Tasting in the Wine Caves."  I decided to join the mannequins. 

Chateau Gaudrelle (Rochecorbon):  Great stuff.  Nice white with a little oak on it.  Lovely dessert wine.  Alas, no room in the suitcase.  Plus, the winemaker was shooting down everything I wanted to pair the wine with.  I may have a lot to learn, but he didn't have to be so snotty.  Oh well.  There are other, nicer producers for me to buy from!

Then we went back to Amboise, found the only boulangerie in the region that is open past 5pm and had a feast of bread, cheese, macarons and salami for dinner.  Still full.

Tomorrow I head to Paris where I may actually venture into wines that are not from The Loire.

Until the next sniff, sip, quaff, cheese binge and/or mannequin tour,

Cheers,

Alli M.

9 comments:

wossi said...

Mom is not the only one. Did you know there is a very good (potential) wine region in the Kurdish region of Iraq? You should invest! love, wossi

Alli M. said...

What's the grape they're planting? What kind of soil? How old are the vines? What kind of oak are they using or is it all steel fermented? Who is their distributor for the US? Europe? Asia? Australia? The UK? Just things I need to know before considering an investment in a nascent wine region.... :) Oh, and who is their wine maker and what's his/her background?

Elliej said...

Way to go, Wossi!

Liga Italia said...

Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I’m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world.

Unknown said...

This really answered my problem, thank you!
Bitcom.com.ua
Lagoario.com
Dogmavirtual.com

Ariana Richardo said...

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

Click Here
Nation2.com

Sproter Crati said...

You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

Click Here
Visit Web

Yudafa Fajir said...

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article, thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

Allaboutcfd-tomersblog.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Dora Shaw said...

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

Hub.docker.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web