Monday, July 18, 2011



A few weeks ago I celebrated my birthday with several good friends at Otto, a very good family style Italian "pizzeria" with an even better wine list.  It's actually one of Mario Batali's places and though I've been disappointed by many of the celebrity chefs' restaurants I've visited, Otto has yet to disappoint.

There were eight of us, but since it was a "school night," we only made it through 3 bottles of wine:

Almondo Arneis Vigne Sperse 2009: Arneis is a white wine that most people don't know anything about (but should).  To me, it's the wine you introduce to your friends who always force you to order a bottle of Pinot Grigio.  Almondo Arneis is fresh and crisp with a nose and palate full of citrus.  Despite the lightness, it has some nice structure and slight body which allows it to hold up to lighter dishes like salads, vegetables and other light appetizers.  Moreover, it's one of the least acidic Italian whites out there so it tends to be less "puckering" when drinking by itself (which it also does nicely).  None of the white wine drinkers at the table had ever heard of Arneis and all were asking me about it over the course of the meal.

La Spinetta Barbera D'Asti Ca' di Pian 2007: To me, Barbera D'Asti is always a good bet because it can be light to medium bodied and it is very versatile.  Unless you're going for a super light salad or appetizer or a super heavy pasta, beef or venison, Barbera will likely go well with your meal.  The La Spinetta has lovely cherry and cassis notes.  It went particularly well with the thin crust mushroom pizza we ordered and seemed to go down very easy around the entire table!

And the 3rd bottle - Moscato D'Asti of course!  I didn't catch the label, but it was crisp, sweet, bubbly and just as enjoyable as I expected it to be.  Plus, it went incredibly well with the "Black & White" (I don't even want to try to explain it - just look it up on Otto's web site and know that it was even better than described).

I really enjoyed the Arneis, the Barbera D'Asti and the Moscato D'Asti, but the best blend of the evening was the gathering of friends from various parts of Manhattan and New Jersey.  Nothing complements wine better than good company (and it sure beats Lardo pizza - the one culinary misstep). 

Until the next, sniff, sip and quaff (which I promise to write up before I turn.....well, let's just say I'm old enough to be characterized as "Old Vines" but much, much younger than the oldest vines in California),

Cheers,

Alli M.




 
 

7 comments:

elliej said...

I've pgot to try that Arnando Arneis. It sounds divine -- and I'm not a fan of white wine.

elliej said...

Oops! That's Almondo Arneis!!

Liga Inggris said...

Great blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the information are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which really should do the trick! Have a nice day! Liga Spanyol

Cial Fseal said...

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

Associazioneingegnerichieti.it
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

AugustCollects said...

This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

Iamerinelizabeth.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Owen oliver said...

Very nice post, i certainly love this website, keep on it

Adopsclubindia.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

BillieMartinez said...

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

Forum.honorboundgame.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web