Saturday, February 11, 2012

South African Wine - Shudder No More


South African red wine.  This phrase usually sends shudders up my spine.  No matter how wine-o-cratic I aim to be, I think of South African wines as one step above white zinfandel.  So I was a bit wary of the latest Essex Wine Society Tasting focusing on the red wines of South Africa.  That said, I believe that South African wines have improved over the years and I am confident that one day I will find at least one South African wine that I love.

Unfortunately it didn't happen at the Essex County tasting, however; I found a few South African reds that I enjoyed and one that I would purchase.

My two favorites of the ten we tasted:

Ernie Els Signature 2006 - Classic Bordeaux Blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Malbec, and Cabernet France with bright plum, berry and black currant notes.  Exhibits some vegetal notes, which tend not to be my favorite, but which add some structure.  The longer the wine sat in the glass, the more I liked it.  Unfortunately, it was also the 2nd most expensive wine we tasted and I'm not sure I'd spend $90 - $95 on a bottle.

Grangehurst Pinotage 2003 - I was shocked to find out that one of my two favorites of the evening was a Pinotage.  I have never liked a pinotage, but the best part of blind tasting is that you are not as swayed by pre-conceived notions of particular varietals or regions.  This pinotage was a pleasant surprise.  Smooth red berry notes give way to a medium, somewhat oaky finish.  I don't see switching this out for my favorite pinot noir anytime soon, but for $20 - $23, I would likely pick up a bottle if I came across it in a wine store.

It might be awhile before South Africa breaks into my list of favorite wine regions, but I'm starting to turn the corner.  However, I still stand behind some wine biases and I do not believe I'll ever see the day when I accept white zinfandel as a wine.

Until the next sniff, sip or quaff,

Cheers,

Alli M.

7 comments:

elliej said...

I cannot forget my wine tasting in South Africa in October, 2010. There was nothing I liked.

Taruhan Bola said...

Thanks for the info, maybe I can use this ended my tufted marketing and I've been use untold anulus media in run a interaction and they someone existing a big amend on me. Judi Bola

Unknown said...

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!
Tanko119.jp
Gh-magokoro.jp
Cesi666.de

Baseball Betting Advice said...

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!… Football Betting Hockey Betting

Indi Host said...

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

Website
Information

Denian Frizy said...

This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

Click Here
Visit Web

star said...

Wineocracy, a fusion of "wine" and "democracy," symbolizes a democratic approach to wine appreciation, where diverse tastes and preferences converge to celebrate the rich and varied world of wines.
liquor store in saraland al