Sunday, August 28, 2011

What pairs with a Hurricane (or really bad rain and a hyper 24 hour media?)

Due to the impending Hurricane, I've been cooped up inside since 10am yesterday.  After 3 loads of laundry, countless crappy movies (how and why did "Love Happens" ever get made?!?) and multiple updates of my Fantasy Football worksheet, I felt it was time to enjoy some wine.  So what pairs with a Hurricane - or even a pesudo tropical storm that the news keeps trying to turn into something so much bigger?!? 
With the intense humidity, I thought I should pick something that was crisp and cool, but with some body.  Cut the humidity; stand up to the wind.  I happened to have a good portion of a bottle of 2010 Cuma Torrontes left over from a sushi dinner that would be the perfect storm compliment.     

As longtime readers know, Torrontes, is one of my absolute favorite white grapes.  To me, it has the perfect balance of fruit, acid and body.  A part of me wants the whole world to discover this
flavorful, food friendly wine and another much more selfish part wants it to stay a hidden gem in Argentina so that it doesn't get over planted and mass produced like so many Chardonnays, Sauvignon Blancs and Pinot Grigios. 

I'd never had Cuma before, but an astute employee at Englewood Wine Merchants recommended it.  What a good call!  Cuma, from the Michel Torino estate, is one of my favorite new white wines.  It has a beautiful nose with all sorts of floral notes.  The most predominent seems to be rose.  On the palate, you get a huge hit of acid that is mitigated by the floral notes as well as some peach notes that add some nice body. 

It has a little too much acid for me to drink alone, but with some salad or sushi or most varieties of fish (even tuna fish salad), Cuma drinks beautifully.

I (almost) look forward to another day of bad weather and even worse movies so I can enjoy another glass or two of Cuma.

Until the next sniff, sip or quaff (6 days until I'm in Oregon),

Cheers,

Alli M.

10 comments:

elliej said...

So for hurricane preparation: milk, bread, peanut butter, jelly, duct tape and Cuma wine

Soccer Training said...

I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Online Poker

Unknown said...

It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks
Stapleritalia.it
Twittbot.net
Syntigris.com.cn

Information said...

very nice post, i certainly love this website, keep on it Information Information

Indi Host said...

It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

Click Here
Gitlab.ow2.org

Miguel Long said...

You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

Information
Click Here
Smashwords.com

Owen oliver said...

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

Instabio.cc
Information
Click Here

Maliko Yarise said...

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!

Click Here
Visit Web
Vlchronicles.com

Brilian Ajab said...

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait.

Videodataanalysis.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web

Zafran Yoda said...

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

Jasonzuzga.com
Information
Click Here
Visit Web