Monday, October 18, 2010

Eataly, Take I: Maybe next time I'll actually be able to eat there

Though this is the second column in a row that is not about wine, food and foodie type of things are very much related to my love of wine. To that end, I feel compelled to share my initial thoughts on Eataly, the 2 month old Italian market/eatery/wine store/gelateria/fish monger/butcher shop/chocolate counter/cafe and pizzeria in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York. It was founded by "culinary bigwigs" Mario Batali, Joe Bastianich, Lidia Matticchio Bastianich along with the founder of Eataly in Turin, Italy, Oscar Farinetti.

Yesterday my friend, Pam, and I stopped by hoping to get a light bite and perhaps a nice glass of wine. Due to New York law, the wine store is next to, but not inside the market. Since I can't walk past a wine store without going in, we decided to stop in the store first. It was a bit smaller than I expected, but it featured a wide variety of wines at a variety of good price points.

We then ventured inside and like most new "it" places in New york, it was an absolute zoo. It took us all of 2 minutes to realize we wouldn't be getting a snack at Eataly, but we still wanted to walk around and check it out. Braving the crowds and the maze-like configuration, we wandered around for about 20 minutes. At the coffee counter, I had to stop and grab an espresso because it not only smelled wonderful, but the espresso machine just looked cool. It was big, shiny and silver with a Willy Wonka-esque look and a few different spouts that doled out thick streams of rich, nutty, espresso. While I sipped my coffee, Pam turned to look at the chocolate counter where she was excited to find Venchi, a high end chocolate brand that is a favorite of hers.

After the brief coffee break, we continued our tour. I loved seeing all of the European treats and the beautiful packaging. Unfortunately it was just too packed so we found our way back to the front door and made our way out.

I sincerely hope to get back to enjoy a glass of wine and perhaps some salumi and/or cheese. Once I do, you know I'll be reporting on it in full.

Until then, or until the next sniff, sip or quaff,

Cheers,

Alli M.

6 comments:

elliej said...

They should change the name to NonEataly. elliej

Ariana Richardo said...

I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

Click Here
Exblog.jp

Ariana Richardo said...

I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…

Profile.ameba.jp
Website
Information

Gabriella Jackson said...

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

Forums.prosportsdaily.com
Information
Click Here

Manila said...

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

Wishlistr.com
Information
Click Here

MiltonBaker said...

You have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?


Ozgrid.com
Information
Click Here